Saturday, November 22, 2008

A New Beginning

I've been working as a prosecutor for a short time now. I have to say that the experience has been phenomenal so far.

I am lucky to be working with great people. I feel like I could not have been assigned to a better court. The other 3 prosecutors in my court are hard working, incredibly smart, and deeply dedicated individuals. The only way I can describe working with these people is that it is like hanging out with junkies all addicted to the same drug. We all come in every morning looking for our next fix. We all share the same sickness.

The people are one of the main reasons I applied to be a prosecutor in this particular office. My experiences as an intern and now as a junior prosecutor have shown me that the people that do this job, almost without exception, are individuals genuinely interested and intensely dedicated to justice. These people aren't out for blood, their out to do the right thing; we work around the clock to make sure justice is done.

And it is not just my fellow prosecutors that make the job so much fun. The parade of defense attorneys that come into the courthouse everyday are, for the most part, great people who make it so that there is never a dull moment.

On a broader note, this is a very exciting time to be a prosecutor in this office. With a new District Attorney coming in, and with her new "upper" management means that the office is in for some changes. Some of the more senior prosecutors are a little more stressed out about their jobs, and as with all things change is difficult. I'm sure some very good prosecutors will be leaving the office either by choice or because they are encouraged to leave by the new administration.

Fresh blood may be exactly what this office needs. With new people come new ideas and new ways of doing things. I don't think anyone in the office would claim that things run perfectly, and the truth is there are several areas where a little change will be good.

I look forward to bringing you my thoughts in the days, months, and (hopefully) years ahead.

4 comments:

Ghostrider said...

Welcome to the Blog World, I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Tenderfoot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tenderfoot said...

I too look forward to your posts. By the way, in case you work intake, just be aware there are some out there who will go to mat on a charge they believe in.

Anonymous said...

Change can be good. It remains to be seen what effect Lycos will have on the office but you are going into this with the right attitude. I think she deserves a chance and your office deserves the opportunity to shine once again. Good luck to you and keep us posted.